April 21, 2016

Lemon Meringue Pie Bundt Cake ~ #BundtBakers





You know how everything old is new again?  Well this month's theme for #BundtBakers is Retro Desserts Recreated as Bundts - how fun is that?  We were all asked to pick a dessert from a bygone era and turn it into a bundt cake.
There were so many good choices but I went with the classic Lemon Meringue Pie. I tried to stay true to the pie, so I made sure I had a graham cracker crust, lemon curd as a filling and meringue on top. It is a little hard to make the curd stay in one even layer so I compromised and placed half the batter in the bundt pan, and then placed large spoonfuls of lemon curd over the top of it and this seemed to work well.





My family loved this bundt.  Lemon is such an amazing flavor in desserts, and this one delivers with lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon curd, which sounds like a lot but it works.  I also loved that when you flip the bundt out of the pan you end up with a graham cracker base.  A little meringue piped on the top completes the recreation.  You could definitely add more meringue than I did, but I liked the little piped rosettes.






If you would like to know more about #BundtBakers and see what the other bakers made for the Retro Desserts Recreated as Bundts theme please scroll down below the recipe. Thank you to Stacy from Food Love People Lust for helping me with updating the links as I am on vacation In Australia at the moment.


Lemon Meringue Pie Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
  • 225g butter, softened
  • 295g sugar + 15g for the meringue
  • 90ml vegetable oil
  • 5ml vanilla extract
  • 6 large eggs
  • 222ml buttermilk
  • 415g all purpose flour
  • 5g baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 1 jar lemon curd 
  • 55ml fresh lemon juice
  • 5g lemon zest
  • 75g Graham Cracker crumbs
  • 2 egg whites
  • pinch of cream of tartar

Preparation
Cake ~
  1. Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
  2. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan and set aside.
  3. Place the softened butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes.
  4. Beat in the oil.
  5. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
  6. Keep the mixer running on low and add the vanilla and one egg at a time.
  7. Scrape the bowl with a spatula, then, turn the mixer on low again and add the buttermilk and flour mixture until fully combined.
  8. Scrape the bowl again, and beat in the lemon juice and zest.
  9. Pour half the batter into the prepared bundt pan, carefully place large spoonfuls of the lemon curd over the top of the batter, cover with the remaining batter.
  10. Sprinkle the graham cracker crumbs over the batter and gently press.
  11. Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
  12. Remove the cake from the oven, cool for 30 minutes inside the tin, then flip out onto a cooling rack and cool to room temperature.
Meringue ~
  1. Place the egg whites in a clean metal mixing bowl.
  2. Add the cream of tartar and whip with the electric mixer until soft peaks form.
  3. Add 15g of sugar and whip until firm and glossy.
  4. Spoon the meringue into a piping bag with a large piping tip, then swirl the meringue on the top of the bundt cake.
  5. Use a blowtorch to toast the top of the meringue and then chill until ready to serve.

Recipe adapted from Lemon and Vanilla
For US measurements please click here


BundtBakers




You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about #BundtBakers, can be found on our home page. And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month ~



13 comments:

  1. Those piped rosettes are ADORABLE, Felice! You really got into the spirit of the recreation and now I feel like a copout with my already Bundt retro dessert. Thank you so much for the great theme. You got everyone putting on their thinking caps and that is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Felice! Your bundt looks so beautiful and sounds absolutely delicious! I would love, love, love a slice! Thank you for hosting this month...I thoroughly enjoyed baking along with you :)

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Felice this looks perfect, thanks for hosting and choosing such a great theme! Laura@ Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea this lemon meringue pie, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe my eyes..........Lemon Meringue Pie Cake, the pie is my top favorite dessert ever.
    I don't have buttermilk in the house or any dairy except sour cream. Possible to sub the buttermilk for sour cream?? Any suggestions ...........i'm open and dying to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabby if you have milk you can make a buttermilk substitute by adding a tablespoon of vinegar to one cup of milk. If not then I would definitely try making it with sour cream and I'm sure it would be just as delicious and moist.

      Delete
  6. This looks soooo gorgeous! I absolutely love the little swirls of meringue on top, and the way you put the graham cracker crumbs on top before baking so they'd be the bottom "crust" was so genius! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so absolutely delicious to me. I must be very hungry. I had to wipe drool off of my chin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looked dreamy before you even cut it, but after…oh my, oh my! Love that luscious lemon curd hiding inside!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that you put lemon curd inside your bundt; what a great idea! hope you're having a great time in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at those perfect rosettes! I love how you stuck true to lemon meringue pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Es una verdadera tentación al paladar y a la vista se ve deliciosos,abrazos

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.