January 20, 2017

Lemon Drizzle

The #CakeSliceBakers are back with their next cake from World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey. There were some great choices again this month and I am looking forward to seeing which cake my fellow bakers chose to make.

Each month the Cake Slice Bakers are offered a selection of cakes from the book and we each choose one cake to bake. On the 20th - never before - we all post about our cake. There are a few rules that we follow, but the most important one is to have fun and enjoy eating cake!





This month's choices were Lemon Drizzle, Apple Streusel, Vanilla and Blood Orange Cake, and Devils Food Cake. Any one of these cakes would be amazing, but I chose the Lemon Drizzle because I loved the idea of a glaze on top and after a quick look through the recipe I just knew it was "the one". This cake was so easy to put together, baked well, and tasted fantastic.  I let the glaze boil till it changed slightly in color and became almost toffee-like.  I think what I liked most was the contrast between the sweet lemon cake and the tart lemon glaze.  Sometimes glazes can be cloyingly sweet, but this was shows a lot of restraint as there is not a lot of sugar in it, and it retains that pucker from the lemon.




One thing I did have a problem with was putting the glaze on the cake whilst it was still in the pan.  It may be great in theory, but it did not work too well in practice for me.  I followed as directed in the original recipe and brushed the cake with the glaze, and it looked amazing. What wasn't so amazing was trying to get a slightly hot cake out of the pan (I did not want the glaze to harden in the pan).  I placed a cutting board on top of the cake and flipped it over, but when trying to remove the board the glaze and part of the top of the cake stuck to the board. I may have said some bad words at this stage. Fortunately I still had some glaze left so I brushed a bit on the naked cake, cut up another lemon to cover the damage, and then brushed the remaining glaze on the lemons.  Crisis averted, and I have updated the recipe below to reflect a change in plan.







Please scroll down after the recipe to see all the beautiful cakes that were baked this month, and don't forget to check out our Facebook page.


Lemon Drizzle
Printer Friendly Recipe

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • 3 eggs
  • 200g sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 150g all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 115g butter, melted
  • 105ml heavy cream
  • finely grated zest of 2 lemons

Lemon Drizzle ~
  • 100ml water
  • 80g sugar
  • juice of 2 lemons


Preparation
Cake ~
  1. Preheat the oven to 160℃.
  2. Spray a 17cm x 8cm x 8cm loaf pan with baking spray and line the bottom with parchment paper.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs and slowly add the sugar, salt, flour, and baking powder.
  4. Add the melted butter to the batter, then pour in the cream and the lemon zest.
  5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.  
  6. Remove the cake from the pan and place on a wire rack. 
  7. Place a tray or parchment underneath the rack and brush the lemon drizzle over the cake allowing it to be absorbed into the cake.

Lemon Drizzle ~
  1. While the cake is baking, make the lemon drizzle by boiling the water, sugar, and lemon juice together for about 10 minutes.
  2. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Recipe from World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey
For US Measurements please click here







9 comments:

  1. This was a fabulous cake wasn't it. I just wish I'd got to taste mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be hard to turn out a freshly glazed cake! This looks beautiful anyway, I would have never guessed you had an issue and now I want to try this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that shiny glaze over the lemon and the cake, looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved everything about this recipe too! Especially the simplicity of the recipe! After all the Holiday baking, this recipe just made it easy to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty with the sliced lemon on top (even if it is to correct the glaze damage) and I love that the glaze is still puckery! Perhaps cooking the glaze longer means that it didn't sink in to the cake as much and is stickier? Anyway it's a lovely loaf with the glaze and lemon slices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks great! And very pretty with all the lemons slices on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great save, adding your lemons on top. I ended up putting some on the cake in the pan and then putting the rest on after I took the cake out of the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the same issue with the glaze. My cake actually broke. I thought it was from the way I prepared the pan, but it may have been the glaze causing the cake to stick to the pan. I love how you decorated it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.